Suncoast Motion Picture Company - Who remembers these stores?

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
In the late 80's and early 90's, the store at the mall for movie & pop culture fans was Suncoast Motion Picture Company, known mostly as just Suncoast. The stores main emphasis was on selling videos (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray) but the also sold a ton of collectibles & merchandise geared towards movie, music, and gaming fans. For a lot of folks, back then Suncoast was their only source of getting their hands on imported items like Anima and Manga. Needless to say, I spent a *lot* of time there. :D

Suncoast ended up going through a few different corporate owners before they ended up closing nearly all of there stores except a handful. The only comparable chain store left these days might be FYE which is a shame. Suncoast had a different feel to them versus the bright & shiny stores that now dominate what is left at the malls.

Lately I've been cleaning out my home office "Marie Kondo" style and getting rid of a bunch of stuff. Much to my surprise I came across a couple of Suncoast bags! 😲 Taking a look on eBay and doing some Google searches, I was disappointed to find out that there isn't a collectors market for Suncoast stuff. 🤣

Suncoast_Video_Store_-_Bag.jpg

Courtesy of Wikipedia, here's a pic of what the stores used to look like in your local mall, this one being at the Monmouth Mall in NJ.

1708539645818.png

Back